Gotta get my rant out of the way first-- Gotta tell someone just to get it out sometimes, right?
Well tonight I was outside milking the goats-- and my landlord pulled in (no big deal)-- He is a REAL nice guy and LOVES how we are really living the "homestead" lifestyle-- as his wife NEVER got into it--so a lot went undone....
Anyway-- his wife was with him-- and this is only her 2nd time here -- both times she is nice-- but she is a special education teacher in our local school district and I don't think she is too keen on the idea of homeschooling... the first time was over a year ago and I don't remember the conversation-- but this time it is making me laugh-- and stomp my feet at the same time.
They both came up to see the goats....and she was really taken back I can tell-- she said "so do you really drink the milk?" (As ol' Jeff Foxworth says-- "here's your sign") No I spend 2 hours a day milking a goat and don't drink the milk-- anyway-- that was no big deal--
At the end of their visit I was putting our double stroller into our 15 passenger van-- and I could tell-- she was not impressed with either (nor my jean jumper, I'm sure.. LOL) So she casually says to Zachary "So how old are you now?"
He replies kindly "9".
She asks "How is school going".
He says "Fine I am homeschooled" (gonna teach him he doesn't need to add that"-
She says "I know-- do you like it?"
He says "yes, but I do not like reading--"..
We laugh-- and
she says "Well do you EVER get to see other kids??"
(Does ANYONE know HOW MUCH I wanted to say "well no-- this is his 15 minutes we give him outside--- the rest of the time we keep him in a cage surrounded by a nice bubble"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
His reply is much kinder than my thoughts ---he says "Oh yes, at church and I am also in 4-H and I do field trips with other kids too"
She says "Field trips? oh my... " (with a shocked look on her face)
Her husband then comes over -- and says "yep-- they have the best of both worlds here" And kindly pushes her to get INTO THE CAR... ;)
Oh its not a big deal-- just makes me LAUGH really when I think of her asking "So do you EVER get to see other kids?"
Anyway-- on to simpler items--Karrie asked about the GNOWFLGINS course-- and I DO enjoy it-- here is my current "project":
What is it? It is Keifer Water-- or no-- actually I am in the process of converting DAIRY keifr to Water Keifr... then I am going to make some DELICIOUS (or so I HOPE) Water Keifer....
I am very excited-- but this process will take about 8 days to convert-- and then 5 days to ferment the actual drink-- these things I am learning definitly take a bit of TIME....
I really do like this course-- this probably isn't the BEST time for ME to take it-- I have a lot going on--- but I knew that-- I really wanted to learn so much of this-- and YES-- I could've darted around to all kinds of different blogs to find some "tutitorials" -- or I could try to have one of my friends at church show me-- but that MUST be scheduled time-- this is AT my pace (as I can save all the information for later if needed)... SO that is what I do-- I save all the information (great fact sheets) and I print them too- and I have a binder that I can quick reference-- plus there are videos of most things where she SHOWS us how to do it-- and adds s a personal touch.. I LIKE THAT. I am actually all caught up-- once this keifr is finished-- I did get a bit behind on the soaking of whole grains and nuts---but all is well now....the chicken stock week-- helped since that was one of the FEW things I did already know. So yes-- life is busy-- but I am getting to SEE it-- and I can always come back to the directions and fact sheets later.
Is it worth the $$$? I do think so-- if you have a little extra grocery $$ take it from there-- that is what I have been doing-- Although if you look over the list of topics and you have a good idea how to do them-- you will probably be bored-- it is definitly a BASIC/ FUNDAMENTAL course. A friend at church is having her daughter take the course-- and she said she cannot watch the videos and the course is a bit boring for her.... but she has been doing MANY of these things FOR YEARS.
Well I must get going-- morning comes SUPER early here....
God bless-- and PLEASE feel free to comment-- I love to see who's reading----
Thanks for the update of the food course. I think I will do it. I am a complete beginner, so I think it will help alot. Our oldest some Joseph starts home school next year with a virtual school. I am suprised at all the people who think I am crazy and hurting him for taking him out of "normal school". I feel like I have to justify myself to everyone.
ReplyDelete