My trip to the Farmers Market







I must say I have visited a few local farmers markets before....and have NEVER been very impressed with the size or selection. :(

Today however I found the MOTHER list of all Farmers Markets in my county-- it is amazing how many!! The one was recommended to me by a friend so I decided that would be the first on my list.

So by the time we had breakfast and everyone ready it was noon-- but we headed out-- with our water cooler filled up and soup/broth in our thermos... figuring along the way we'd buy some fresh produce to eat for lunch also.

So we found it and I was impressed before I even entered-- the building was much bigger than I had seen before and the parking lot was BUSY!! (on a Friday)!

So we unloaded the kids-- for the least problems we put the 1 & 2 year olds in the double stroller and also took the single for Rachel (in her car seat, as she was sleeping). So we walked it-- looking a bit like a "caravan" and boy did we get the looks (I HATE THAT)... and the first BIG stand we came to was produce-- but the lady looked at me like I had 3 heads and went on about "you have your hands busy...blah blah blah" and I just wasn't in the mood for that -- and the kids were being GREAT-- if they were bouncing off the wall (which they WILL do) then I could see all the comments) but anyway-- we continued walking (thru the pretty small isles IN SEARCH of FRESH produce!) And we found a GREAT place!!!

We stocked up-- we were able to get watermelon, cantelope, mushrooms, green beans, cucumbers (mini ones to make lacto fermented pickles), peaches, cabbage (for making lacto fermented saurkraut). But once we had it all together (to check out) in 2 boxes-- plus the LARGE melons--- Carring it out was a bit of a problem-- as my 1 son was helping with strollers.. but we manged--- and to be honest we didn't look around any more.

I did notice the stand behind this produce stand had "Free Range Chicken" and other interesting things-- that if I had more time I would've like to pay attention to.

The boys were eyeing up the BAKED GOODS-- oh boy-- did they look "good". (full of WHITE FLOUR and WHITE SUGAR I'm sure).

So we left and had to pick up a few more "necessities-- " and I BLUSH to tell you where we went-------------------------------------- I won't-- we'll just call it "the Grocery chain".

There I was able to stock up on Butternut Squash and Carrotts (which are REALLY a staple on this GAPS diet). (so glad we planted our own Squash plants-- they were not cheap.

-------------------------------

In wrap up-- will I go again? Well I have to be honest-- now that we are eating like this-- and for so many--- I did not feel the Farmers Market was the best place to "STOCK UP".

I think FOR OUR FAMILY---visiting the farm is better for that kind of thing-- and actually I am now going to participate in a BULK PRODUCE food order that occurs monthly. It may not be "local" but it will be Organic-- and IN BULK -- and DELIVERED almost to my house!! And right now my life is sometimes more about conveience!! :(


**I feel kinda guilty for letting/ ASKING my boys to watch this video on Netflix this morning before we left-- because these on the movie were MAJOR Farmers Markets-- and with all of us-- we really didn't "mingle" or "talk" with the vendors like I would've liked.... that is my own fault-- but it I think was a BIG let down for them because of this.... :( Oh the Movie: To Market To Market to Buy a Fat Pig

*** For those of you who know how terrible I am at eating OUT!! (even little things) I was so good this trip-- we filled up our BIG water cooler and I brought the stock-- GUESS WHAT!! NO JOKE-- we poured the stock out and there were SHREDS of glass in the stock!! The inside of our thermos shattered!!!! (3 of us drank some before we caught it--- but the glass must have been towards the bottom because it wasn't till the 4th pour we saw it!!!! So there went the stock idea!! :( So we came home and ate soup from the stove and our PEACHES!! YUMMMMMM










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laine's Letters

Immigrant 1880-1914 food budget

Day Book